Friday, September 27, 2024

Lisa Marguerite Mora


Wrong Move


Living on pasta and cheese, carrots and coffee,

I neglected food for music. Cassette tapes. Spending my money


on gas to get to the canyon, I walked the trails

and ate the fog. Often it was night. 


And listened.


Mud print of small mountain cats, after the rain

I hiked in whatever shoes I had. Once I slipped


and slid, stopping short from where the trail dropped

into steep ravine and tangled brush. I waited.


Thought. And prayed I could make the right

move, not make it worse. I was alone.


Slowly, I grabbed and belly crawled across

the mud. Up on one knee. And stood.


In those years I learned respect, was granted

peace. In those years


I stopped being hungry

for what I couldn't have.


Eventually the canyon kicked me out

back to the city. My car could no longer


make the trek. I finished school. Acquired

health insurance. And some skills. Worked too much.


Got really really tired. Lost sight

of essence the way it lived in me


even when I was afraid. Twenty years later,

have not slipped, but have stopped. Am thinking. 


About how to make it right. I listen 

to those old music tapes. The older you get 


you feel you can't make any wrong moves.


This thought proves to me

what I've lost.


Jack G Bowman

Fall Nature His mind shits on to October thoughts; dying, hibernation, death, sacrifice he watches the sky for the returning comet, misses t...