Tuesday, October 8, 2024

Rick Lupert


You are more than welcome


to sit in my chair and read your book

or my book. You are more than welcome


to take my seat on the couch, in the car,

at the dinner table, in front of the community.


You are more than welcome to the contents

of my drawers, my bank account numbers,


my passwords, my ledger of activities.

You are more than welcome to replace


my photo with yours, wherever it appears.

I have a stash of chocolate. I think you


already know about it. It’s yours.

You are more than welcome to


my knowledge and decisions,

my youthful look, my hair (!!).


When the phone rings, going forward,

it is for you, you are more than welcome 


to whomever it is. You are more than welcome 

to the joy I feel when the animal videos play.


You can have all my collections.

Don’t even ask. I’ll sign whatever,


You are more than welcome to my signature

my hand, my whole life.





All of This Is Normal


I want to tell you we dropped our kid

off at camp today, but the truth is

he was driving the car.


Our kid drove himself to camp today.

This has never been written before.

We were in the car.


We experienced it. The double whammy

of our boy who used to be a toddler

with cheeks from here to eternity


operating a motor vehicle on the

freeways of Los Angeles, on his way

to eight weeks away…maybe nine –


I can’t bear to look at the calendar.

Speaking of bears, we’re going to Alaska

where we hope to see one.


Alaska has made no promises. Someday

we won’t be in the car when he drives

from place to place. Someday he won’t even

live in our house. None of this is normal.





Dinner in Vancouver


A leisurely walk down Main Street

after a vegetarian tasting menu

which can only be described as

a Caligula of flavor I determine

there are many great pizzas to try

in this part of town. My stomach

won’t allow for any of them now and

we are leaving on a large boat tomorrow 

so it may never happen. But if all

Hell breaks loose, and California

sinks into the ocean and the great

American experiment fails, I know

Vancouver is a viable option.


Jack G Bowman

Fall Nature His mind shits on to October thoughts; dying, hibernation, death, sacrifice he watches the sky for the returning comet, misses t...