Saturday, September 21, 2024

Joseph Milosch


An Abandoned Military Cemetery


It was the twilight of spring, and the Red Maple

leafed out. Walking up the old dirt drive, I counted

the dandelions growing in ruts. Some markers

leaned forward, and others tilted backward.

Most of the tombstones formed post-like shadows.


The names on the markers are those of the men

who died in the Revolutionary or Civil War.

Of course, I wanted to know about them,

but the only traces were by wild hogs

who rooted the tops of the graves. 


Along the perimeter of the cemetery stood tall,

green pines, and in the middle of the graveyard,

the bees swarmed in a red maple. Three robins

landed beside the tree. They were not singing

as they strutted between graves. 


Is it a sign of respect? I asked a gaunt mongrel.

He stopped near me and sniffed the pig’s footprint.

Ignoring me, he did his morning business

on a fallen gravestone. I wonder what made

the men defend the mysterious tree of equality. 


As the dog circled the base of the maple, I thought

about soldiers doing ordinary things, fetching water,

or cutting wheat. I thought about them shaving

or bandaged in rough cloth. I thought about them

lifting their weapons and swallowing their fear.


Today, these inhabitants of forgotten graves share

their quarters with the creatures of the soil.

When a cold wind brings rain,

the mongrel follows the old road forming a U

while a flock of crows grumbles in the maple,

and the town talks about the summer crops.




Twilight Vision

the excavation site of Calle de Luna Subdivision 1990


Twilight on this job site,

Santa Ana winds cross the hillside

and, near the brush line, a dolphin bone.

Lifting it, I wave it in an arc,

and it eclipses the setting sun.

The autumn breeze brings weariness

and I dream-walk into the past.

As the quail cry out from

behind clumps of white sage,

I ride the surf into the dolphin’s memory

of rip tides, moon tides,

tides of the equinox.

In the distance, it sees

the sun set as white heat,

white light, and now

the rim of the horizon

marked star by star.




The Cruise Ship Crawls Its Way Toward Amsterdam


The cruise ship crawls eastward as the sea propels

itself one wave at a time. Lights of freighters glow

as they follow the trade route west. It seems easy

to see the shapeless green water

as a shadowy meadow with dark shapes.


Occasionally, a wave flashes its white cap

as it moves across this broad and deep channel.

While the ship cuts through waves,

I turn out the lights in my stateroom and step

onto my balcony with just enough space

between reality and me.


Below, a group of passengers walk towards the stern.

Some are retired. Others are newlyweds

or teenage lovers. It seems existence rises and falls

with the rhythm of the North Sea, whose purpose

is to flow with the current.


On my balcony, a steel rail separates the world

of iron from shadows, and I listen to a creature

of whispers, the wind. It slips away from the seascape

as the night clears. Then, the ship and sea become quiet

as if waiting for me to walk through the meadow

of white caps and into myself.


Jack G Bowman

Fall Nature His mind shits on to October thoughts; dying, hibernation, death, sacrifice he watches the sky for the returning comet, misses t...