Saturday, October 12, 2024

Edward Vidaurre

 

Perico on the Pavement


I peeked through the brown paper shades 

that covered our windows


He was being pummeled by another man

there was blood everywhere

Perico grunted profanities

the vato beating him was taking out all his rage 


While beating up Perico, he went 

through his pockets

Perico grunted profanities

he removed a wallet from Perico’s dirty jeans


The guy flipped through his wallet and threw 

away family photos, an ID and what looked 

like fake bills of different colors, it was Monopoly

money and I almost laughed but

Perico had blood all over his face


The man turned to look 

and saw me peeking behind the shades

he smiled

put his finger to his lips

I nodded in nervous agreement


and walked away.


I was a little chavalito watching cartoons

When I heard a scuffle outside. Even now,

grunting profanities and bleeding,

Perico lies in the pavement of my dreams


Jack G Bowman

Fall Nature His mind shits on to October thoughts; dying, hibernation, death, sacrifice he watches the sky for the returning comet, misses t...